Why I'll never opt for the 9-5

Leaving university and officially entering 'adult world' has enabled me to properly decipher the difference between a job and work. Lately, I've noticed that people tend to misunderstand the difference between the two.

A job is what one would introduce themselves as; "I'm a student, I'm a stockbroker, I'm an international relations graduate". Something you're not embarassed about saying  and something that you are passionate/proud of.

Work is work. Simple, tiring, tedious tasks that we carry out on a regular basic to earn some sort of income. I've had part time work placements at receptionist jobs that I can say that I'm good at, but nowhere is it similar to what I classify as a real job. Work is something anyone can do, yes certain employers require some 'skills' and 'experience', but I believe the real skills and experience are things that will stay with you for life.

I've never been declined of an office admin job, my agency says I have 'all the perfect skills needed for an ideal receptionist', I've been offered all sorts of full time admin jobs also but would never go for it, as working part time (what I'm doing now) gives me time to focus on what I truly love to do. 

You know what they say (and it's true); journalism is not a 9-5 job. That's what I love about it! My life isn't based on strict structure and control (unless with going to work of course). 

However, when I'm performing my job as a journalist, I go through all sorts of experiences that I always learn and gain from. I will lose sleep when i have an article deadline as I'm reading over the final touches and never submit them knowing I haven't given them my all. I spend hours editing my vlogs/documentaries to make sure they're presented in the best possible way. I'm always asking questions, taking notes and gaining contacts at any journalism related event I attend. I feel like I'm growing every second and it feels amazing.

"Do what you love and you won't have to work a day in your life"

Unlike the receptionist admin job, I've faced many rejections/considerations when applying for some journalism jobs, and I never stop. I keep chasing because I know that rejection only means that I'm getting closer to something bigger and better that God has placed in my heart.

I'm optimistic, thankful, and will never regret the decisions I make. Whilst remaining financially stable, I'm also doing what I love to do. Definitely can't put a price cheque on that.


Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment