I went back to school!

I left secondary school 7 years ago, at the age of 15. I was sure I didn't want to stay in the sixth form, I was sure I wanted to go to a mixed college, learn more and broaden my horizon. One thing I was certainly sure of was that the 5 years spent at Our Lady's Convent High, were the best beginning years of life. I somehow think that things would be so different had I chosen somewhere else to spend those crucial 5 years.


I built and grew in the best of friendships, was very naive most of the time, but learnt a lot nonetheless. I was a bit of a class clown, who was seen as a bit of a weirdo for being so well spoken, having being brought up in Hackney! Normal is boring anyway :-)

I couldn't help but continuously ask teachers: "Was I a baddie? Did I ever annoy you?" and thankfully they always disagreed! Or maybe they were just so happy to see me that day that they didn't care about the old me ha! 
The main reason why I re-returned back to Our Lady's Convent High, was because I was invited to! I spoke to a bunch of sixth formers about future career goals and the hopes towards reaching where they hope to be. It was so refreshing being able to give honest, non-fluffy advice of my route down academia, deciding to go to a different college, which in actual fact prepared me towards studying my degree at uni, and so forth.

Everyone's journey is different. I felt so warm being able to openly express mine, and to let the girls know whatever their dreams and desirable career paths are, they can take them to many places, and that they should always be open to new experiences and never feel like life has an A-Z route.

I'm happy and grateful to not only work for the BBC, but to run a mentoring scheme being Pursue Your Passion, and to let my creative 'juices' flow by writing for ic3mag. I'm thankful for my journeys and wherever they take me, just as long as I'm doing what I love, I'm happy.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment