Ghana time

Ghana really is like no other; from the dialect, to the social vibes amongst locals you encounter everyday on the streets of Accra, or on the tro tros (small commercial minibuses)

It was more than fine settling into my neighbouring country and adhering to the morals, beliefs and customs which are quite similar to my own being Nigerian, but the big challenge that lied ahead was working here. I became almost nervous at the prospect of taking my average levels of professionalism to another continent. 

Before even booking my flight, I asked myself why I want to do a journalism internship in another country:

- to strengthen my skills as a budding broadcast journalist
- to test my skills taking out a role in a different environment 
- to become more advanced in experience
- to fall out of my comfort zone 
- to no longer wonder "what if"! 
- to chase. My. Dreams. 

The moment I not only set foot in TV3 television station, but actually started speaking with other colleagues, I automatically felt relaxed. I expressed my ideas, passions and plans and it felt so liberating!

You know what they say, journalism is not a 9-5 job, so a key skill I have to obtain in Ghana, is the skill of PATIENCE. Things are very slow in Ghana, I'm not the type of person that likes to stay in the same place for too long as I prefer to do a million things at once. Coming here makes me realise how that also affects the media industry also. TV3 is one of the most reputable television stations in the whole of Africa, we expect the behind the scenes to be quick, snappy and sharp. Nope! T.I.A (This Is Africa lol)

There are numerous departments in TV3 and the main one that caught my eye was real life journalism. As in my recent documentaries made (YouTube me: Hannah Journo), I like to get more involved in the life of those of interest, and document it, as well as getting the viewers involved too. 

My main role whilst partaking this internship at TV3 in Ghana is to look closely as the lives of other individuals, whilst me and my team document them. I will enclose more details of the program as I can't say much now, but after only a couple of days working I honestly can't describe how awesome it feels to follow through with my career path in another continent!

Good times. Work, minimal rest, and some play! :)



#GhanaDiaries 
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment